Although plaque and tartar may not seem like something that can damage your smile beyond looks, the truth is that the bacteria in both can easily erode tooth enamel and cause cavities, or worse, eventual tooth loss. Here are some things you should know about plaque and tartar buildup:
– Plaque is a sticky film that wraps around your teeth with a thin layer of debris and bacteria.
– Plaque buildup is one of the foremost causes of cavities, as bacteria in plaque can alter sugars from foods and change them into harmful acids that eat through tooth enamel.
– Plaque buildup is a familiar origin of gum disease.
– If you do not eliminate plaque soon enough, it will harden into tartar, which can only be safely eradicated by visiting your dentist.
– If left unchecked, plaque can ultimately cause tooth loss.
– When treating plaque buildup, always try to keep your teeth clean by brushing twice daily and flossing once per day.
– Tartar buildup can significantly increase your risk for gingivitis and more severe forms of gum disease.
To learn more about plaque and tartar removal, contact Dr. Faith Cousins and our team by calling us at 301-589-2714. If you would like an oral exam or bi-annual professional cleaning, our dentist office is located in Silver Spring, Maryland. Thanks for visiting with a smile!